December 4, 2007

Some Almost Bad News

Last night my Mom called me to tell me that my uncle John (her youngest brother) had a heart attack. He recognized the numbness in his arms as sign of what was to come, so he got the hospital very quickly. Looks like there wasn't so much damage done and the only had to stay in the hospital last night for observation.

Needless to say, I'm a little freaked by this. John is definitely one of my favorite uncles. He was always at the summer family camping trips, usually with his two sons, my cousins Luke and Nick. I have many fond memories of late night conversations with him, Ry and I around the campfire. I should probably note that John is kind a big guy. He was very overweight for a long time, but in the past 5 years he started taking better care of himself and lost a lot of weight.

Part of me thinks I should be more upset about this, but frankly right now I'm a little numb. I do find myself thinking about Mick, the suddenness of his death, and of course, the steep decline in my Grandmothers health. Yet I'm no more upset than I am when I read about car bombing in Iraq.

No comments: