June 20, 2008

mental biking note

Do not compose blog posts while riding.

Yesterday I found myself thinking of my next "newbie bike commuter" post, and almost rode my bike right into a car that had pulled out in front of me. The absurdity of what almost happened made cancel my musing I had been composing and post about this instead.

As of this week, I've done 3 consecutive weeks of bike commuting, averaging about 3-4 days each week. So long as the weather stays this nice I'll probably get up to everyday. The downside to my increased confidence on my bike is that I'm not in hyper-attention mode anymore. Twice now I've caught myself mentally drifting off, forgetting what I was doing and that I should be paying attention. I'm sure that as soon as I get injured or almost hit, my paranoid side will re-emerge and I'll go back to jumping at shadows. However I'd like to think that I could maintain a relaxed but aware state on my bike. We'll have to see.

No comments: