April 4, 2007

Thoughts on a Blind Date

Last night I had a blind date with someone who I meet from craigslist. He posted an ad and I responded to it. We traded a few emails and talked on the phone, so I decided to meet him in person. Overall it wasn't that bad of a date. The conversation was good and I did enjoy myself. But he moved a little to fast for me. We were talking somewhere to eat and he started holding my hand. I'm not really used to that but it was just hand holding so I let it go. But then he walked me too my bus stop and started kissing me and holding me like we were a couple. Perhaps I wouldn't have minded so much if I actually enjoyed kissing him, which I did not. Plus is didn't help that I couldn't get the taste of cigarettes out of my mouth for the rest of the evening.

At first I was indecisive about whether or not I wanted to see him again. We did have good conversations but after kissing him I began to doubt there could be anything really between us. Perhaps I'm being too judgmental but I've kissed people before where my lips would tingle and my heart speed up. Kissing him reminded me of that the movie But I'm a Cheerleader. Early in the movie the main character is kissing her "boyfriend" where she is obviously bored and not into it: that was me last night. Unlike her, its not that I'm gay; I've kissed men before and have very much enjoyed it. There was just nothing with this guy.

Any lingering indecisiveness about whether or not to see this guy again was killed when he sent me 3 text messages (and a message on myspace). That’s a little too persistent for my taste.

Overall, last night taught me two important lessons: 1) avoid smokers and 2) dating isn't that bad. I've responded to a few more craigslist ads and so far one guy has written back. Hopefully thing will go better with this guy, but if they don't there will be other.

No comments: