April 9, 2007

that all too familiar pissed off feeling

Once again I find myself pissed off at Wells Fargo. The first time I made a payment in December to my private student loan, Wells Fargo screwed up and my payment wasn't registered properly. They tried to say I didn't make a payment despite the fact the money had left my checking and went to my loan account. In this situation I had all my federal loans and private loan under the same account. My federal loans were in deferment, but when I made my payment the money was evenly divided to all loans in this account regardless of payment status. The logic behind that still escapes me. When I called WF to get everything straightened out it took almost a month for the issue to be resolved. I got especially irritated when I called a CS representative who told me everything was straightened out, only to receive a phone call a week later saying they were sending my information to a collection agency since I had failed to make a payment. I did eventually get everything fixed and all late payment fees cleared.

Yet here I am once again. Now that I've consolidated my private student loans, my private loan is under a new account. For some reason that I can't comprehend, I can't access this new loan account online through Wells Fargo, I have to use some outside service. All I can do through this eLoan website is check my balance and payment history, no online payments. Fortunately I was able to set up my Bill Pay to pay this loan, or so I thought.

When I set up the payee it seemed like everything was done properly so I scheduled a payment for last week. All week I kept checking online and through the 800 to see if my payment was processed by the loan center, no luck. I check my payment details and it was sent as an electronic payment (vs the much slower process where they cut a check for me and mail it to the payee). When I called the loan center to inquire why my payment hasn't been received the woman I spoke to only cause me to become even more frustrated. She tried to encourage me that I could make an payment over the phone for a service fee of $8. I tired to point out that it was ridiculous to charge me to make a payment when it wasn't my fault and that I also couldn't because the money had left my account; she just told me to contact Bill Pay.

Luckily for Wells Fargo, the CS rep for Bill Pay was much more reasonable, or I would be more irate than I already am at that moment. She confirmed my payment was set up properly and made on X date. She also opened a claim for me so that this could be further investigated.

The thing that constantly puzzles me is that my loan is through Wells Fargo as is my checking. Why are Bill Pay and the Student Loan center not talking to each other? Why did I have to spend almost on hour on the phone to get a decent response? Apparently my claim should be resolved within 3-5 days. This makes me nervous because my loan payment is due this coming Saturday. If they try to stick me with a late payment fee, any degree of reasonability I have left will leave me and I'll be forced into a hulk like rage.

No comments: