August 20, 2008

A fair-weather cyclist

So far I haven't rode my bike to work at all this week. Tuesday I did the indecision dance where I changed in & out of my biking clothes as I kept changing my mind whether to bus or bike to work. While this week is definitely a fluke weather week, it has made me painfully aware that I'm not ready to continue bike commuting in the rainy season.

What I need to do:
  • get new aluminum wheels to replace my hazardous steel ones
  • get some rain pants
  • get a better rain jacket
Seems like a simple to do list, however I've had all summer to do these things and have not. Getting new wheels is my top priority. I'm hoping, that once I have aluminum wheels I will actually have brakes in the rain.

That last close call I had while riding my bike in the rain has made me paranoid at just the sight of a cloud filled sky. This is counter intuitive for me since I love rainy weather. But every morning this week when I've looked outside, the sight of clouds has made me sad.

No comments: