August 18, 2008

My love affair with coffee

The poem, "In Praise of Joe" by Marge Piercy, for today's Writer's Almanac perfectly described my relationship to coffee. Here are some of my favorite lines:

"Mornings you go off in my mouth like an electric
siren, radiating to my fingertips and toes.
You rattle my spine and buzz in my brain."

"Without you, I would never get out of bed

but spend my life pressing the snooze
button. I would creep through wan days
in the form of a large shiny slug."

Lately I'm up to on average 2 cups of coffee, on same days (like today) I'll venture into a 3rd cup. Any more than this I'm asking for a horrible stomach ache.

At one time, I tried to cut back... but due to my continuing insomnia and tendency to never go to bed before midnight, I'm still thoroughly addicted. I've even began savor my weekend cups of coffee where I get to drink good coffee in comparison to the drab stuff (Starbucks) they offer for free here at the office. Oh coffee, I love you so much I'll say it in several languages. 咖啡! J'aime le café!

No comments: