March 20, 2007

The Odd Luck of this Irish Girl

Friday night Lindsay and I headed to Kells St. Patty's Day festivities downtown. I had always wanted to check them out for St. Patty's Day, but had never been. We went on Friday instead of Saturday because the ridiculous $20 cover they were asking for on Saturday (it was only $10 on Friday). Overall the bands were very good and I even got some dancing in by the end of the evening. Beers were a bit pricey with a flat rate of $6 for Guinness and Coors alike (um, your logic on that one escapes me Kells).

At one point Lindsay and I were in the less crowded tent listening to a very good band (and feeling sorry for them due to lack of people). Suddenly these two guys showed up on either side of us. The guy who came over to me was very friendly and obviously hitting on me (something I'm not used to at all), but the poor schmuck had no chance in hell. He was too old (mid to late 30s) and was frankly too dull to interest me, but I had enough beer in me too make me feel social so we chatted for a while. Lindsay later informed me that the guy who came to her quickly told her that he was married and come over because his buddy wanted to talk to me. Even though I wasn't interested in this guy, I have to admit this was a bit flattering. Nothing like that has happened to me before.

While talking to this guy, a strange woman wearing dark shades walks over to him, hands him a twenty, whispers something in his ear, and then walks away. He looked confused, than turned to me informing that he was instructed to buy Lindsay and I a beer by this woman. He claims he has no idea who she is and his theory was that she must think I'm hot. I laugh this off and accept the free beer. Luckily Lindsay thought to ask for the chance, which we split between the two of us. With that extra money, we managed to get refunded for the beers previously bought.

Who was this strange women and what possessed her to give a stranger money to buy someone else beer? Perhaps she was the beer fairy bestowing her kindness upon this Irish girl. Where ever you are, thank you strange lady.

The guy thankfully disappeared shortly after this. The rest of the evening was filled with drunken dancing and a very long (but enjoyable) walk home. Overall, it was the best St. Patty's Day I've ever had (even if it was technically the day before).

No comments: